I’ll come clean…
I don’t watch the news, read newspapers or follow much current affairs.
I know that’s shocking to some.
And I’m ok with that. I just know I CAN’T!
I have learned over recent years that it takes too much out of me. Almost all of it is de-energising, victimising, aggressive, argumentative and downright uninspiring!
But even I felt the torrents of turmoil and despair that hit everyone in recent months.
People were feeling so much distress because everywhere I looked and in every conversation, the same concerns were being expressed…
Intense worries about the chest-thumping and posturing of national leaders…
…the distortion of truth…
…the loss of trust in government and big business…
…the ongoing disregard for the earth and nature…
…the lack of compassion and generosity those less fortunate…
Can you relate?
All the turmoil zaps your energy. You are more likely to feel stripped of your power, not able to instigate change.
This prompted a conversation with my friend, Medyhne Lebachen which we recorded to share some ideas about “Rising Above the Chaos”. Watch our video below…
[video_player type=”youtube” youtube_auto_play=”Y” youtube_remove_logo=”Y” width=”560″ height=”315″ align=”center” margin_top=”0″ margin_bottom=”20″]aHR0cHM6Ly95b3V0dS5iZS83SWZQSFFKOGNfcw==[/video_player]
It’s important that we maintain our energy and keep focused on the good work we can do in the world.
So if you want to learn more ideas for staying grounded and centered, even in challenging times…
I’ve distilled the tips from our discussion (and added a couple more for good measure!)
- Figure out what you can influence and take action on those first, rather than focusing on all the matters that cause you concern. If you do this, you’ll build your conviction and belief you CAN MAKE a difference and expand your energy and capacity for doing even more. (The concept of the Circle of Concern Vs Circle of Influence is from Stephen R. Covey’s book, “The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People“).
- Don’t underestimate the impact your energy has in the world, through your presence and your interactions with others. You can be a source of positive, uplifting energy and have that ripple out in your world.
- Hold the vibration of joy and love. Be conscious of your energy throughout the day. If you have dipped down in energies, allowed feelings of frustration, anger or other negative emotions overwhelm you, take a few minutes to stop, breathe and get re-centred. You can build your energy back up in so many ways – figure out what works for you… Here’s some ways that work for me – closing my eyes and recalling a wonderful loving memory; going outside and standing under a particularly beautiful tree; calling a friend who makes me laugh; taking my dog, Lulu for a walk; get out your pen/paints/piano and do something creative – write, paint, sing, dance; admiring some flowers in my garden… (I also do ‘cow therapy’ which involves standing in the paddock and hanging with the cows. Ten minutes is enough to make me feel better).
- Find time daily to sit quietly and to clear your mind of busy thoughts. Have a regular time to sit and center yourself. Connect to the joy of all things. Allow that energy to fill you up. If empty-mind meditation challenges you, find a good guided meditation that have the same effect for you.
- Manage the information you allow in. I invite you to be really aware of the energy of information you expose yourself – whether it’s via TV, movies, books or social media.
- Manage the people you connect with. I also invite you to be mindful of the energy of the people you interact with. Is it uplifting and inspiring? Is it draining and de-energising? This can be challenging when we have relationships at home, work and other arenas of our life that don’t uplift. Just ask yourself, what would it take to remove this negativity? and see what your wise self offers you.
- Mindfully create a circle of amazing, uplifting people who will honour and witness you as you journey in this world.
- Bless Mother Earth and focus on the gratitude you feel for the support you receive from her every day.
- Remember, you are Infinite Energy in a ‘bio-body suit’! We forget how awesome we each are. We are not victims! We are not powerless! We are divine creative beings with infinite power to create change.
This conversation was with the inspiring Medyhne – go here to read more about Medyhne’s work.
In the recording, I also mentioned a chat I had with my friend, Nancy Dadami, the Feng Shui Expert – go here find out more about Nancy’s work.